Gyandarpan Ias Academy is the best IAS coaching centre in Mohali & Panchkula for civil services preparation. It is in Sector 63 Mohali and in Sector 14 Panchkula. Here you can get best Guidance for IAS PCS HCS HPAS preparation in Tricity. All the faculty members are experienced and well qualified. Unique innovative and creative skills coupled with smart classes will make the learning process as simple as possible. Regular tests with complete study material will make your journey easier towards your goal.
Complete Strategy for Beginners for Civil Services Exam:
There is the complete strategy for Preliminary Exam discussed by Gyandarpan Ias Academy which is the best coaching centre for civil services preparation in Mohali & Panchkula. This strategy will be very useful for the beginners to start the preparation in the right direction.
It is one of the most prestigious exam conducted by UPSC. Every year around a million candidate compete for this prestigious exam. Exam is being conducted in 3 stages. Preliminary, Mains and Interview.
Complete Strategy for Preliminary Exam:
Stage 1: In preliminary stage you will appear in two exams namely CSAT-1(Civil Services Aptitude Test 1) and CSAT-2(Civil Services Aptitude Test 2). Both paper will be of multiple choice, objective type with 1/3rd negative marking. In Preliminary marks obtained in CSAT-1 will be counted for qualifying mains while CSAT-2 paper will be Qualifying, and one need to score 33% only. The marks obtained in this stage will only determine your entry to Stage 2(Mains) but will not be counted in final selection.
Syllabus and Approach for CSAT- I (200 Marks for 100 Questions and Duration: 2 hours)
To tackle this paper Candidates must first form a good foundation with NCERT books and read a good newspaper daily. Some useful books are mentioned below along with topics. You can also download NCERTS from the below mentioned links.
- Current events of national and international importance: This section is completely dynamic. You need to refer a good daily national newspaper like THE HINDU and INDIAN EXPRESS. We will also like to suggest studying comprehensively Yojana Magazine.
Complete focus should be on the:
Latest developments, treaties and legislations in the field of environment and ecology,
Recently created national and international organisations with their reports and ranking,
Knowledge of Constitutional issues of the country along with various Judgements of SC and HCs in the interest of the people,
Latest economic issues including the economic survey of the country and Budget.
Latest development in the field of Science and Technology,
Various commissions appointed by the Government with their targets, reports and objectives,
Recent geographical issues, phenomenon and Disasters,
Any news related to Art and Culture of the Country.
No special book is needed to cover this portion. More over in the present scenario the relevance of this section is increasing day by day. Repeated revision along with practice of objective questions will be the key to handle this section.
- History of India and Indian National Movement: This topic will cover Ancient, Medieval and Modern History of India with special reference to National Movements of India that had played a significant role in the achievement of independence to our nation. Base of this pillar will be History – Old NCERTs + TN Board Books.
Ancient India – RS Sharma (NCERT | Class 11)
Medieval India – Satish Chandra (NCERT | Class 11)
Modern India – Bipan Chandra (NCERT | Class 11)
Tamil Nadu History (11th)
Tamil Nadu History (12th)
Addition to above mentioned books, India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipin Chandra along with A Brief History of Modern India – Rajiv Ahir is must to cover the topics comprehensively.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World: To Tackle the Geography, foundation will be the class 6th to 12th Class NCERTS. (New). Good command on GC Leong and regular reference of a good Atlas (Orient Black Swan) will do rest of the work. Indian and World Geography by Majid Husain is also useful to meet the demands of syllabus.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc: Foundation material will be NCERTS class 6th to 12th. Indian Polity by Laxmikant is the most useful Book to cover this section comprehensively.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc: Class 9th to 12th Economics:
Economics Text Book (NCERT | Class 9)
Understanding Economic Development (NCERT | Class 10)
Indian Economic development (NCERT | Class 11)
Introductory Macroeconomics (NCERT | Class 12)
Introductory Microeconomics (NCERT | Class 12)
After studying these books, one must go through Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh and Mrunal’s Video Lectures for Economy. Budget and Economic Survey of current year should also be studied comprehensively. All Government Schemes and Programmes need to have deep insight.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
Importance of Environment section is increasing day by day in Civil Services. Even in state level exams like PCS HAS and HCS, one can find sufficient number of questions from this part. One must study Environment and Biodiversity NIOS material & Environment by Shankar IAS academy.
- Indian Art and Culture: Focus should be on the Religion and philosophy, Architecture and sculptures styles in India, Indian Paintings, Indian Music, Indian Dances, Indian Theatre, Indian Cinema, Indian language and literature, Arts and crafts & Indo Islamic culture. Following NCERTS Books for Art and Culture must be covered.
An Introduction to Indian Art (NCERT | Class 11)
Living Crafts Traditions of India (NCERT | Class 11)
Crafts Tradition of India (NCERT | Class 12).
NIOS material for Art and Culture and some useful knowledge can also be gained from CCRT website.
Later, Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania must be covered to complete the entire syllabus.
- Science and Technology: For covering General Science NCERTS SCIENCE Class 6th to 10th must be the priority. Focus should be on the practical application and utility of science in our day to day life rather than on theoretical approach. The Hindu (Science Section) and Science Monitor – RSTV Programme will enrich the candidates with latest updates in the field of Science and Technology.
Click here to Download Complete Science Material for UPSC/PCS/HPAS/HCS
Science NCERTs (Class 6 – 10)
In the end we will suggest practicing past year questions from a standard book. It will have two-fold benefits. First, you will get acquainted with the types of questions asked in the exams and second, sometime questions are repeated in state level exams.
Syllabus and Approach for CSAT- 2 (200 Marks for 80 Questions and Duration: 2 hours) As mentioned earlier CSAT-2 of the Civil Services (Preliminary) examination will be a qualifying paper based on MCQs and with 1/3rd negative marking. You need to score minimum of 33% to secure your entry into mains. Following topics are mentioned in syllabus:
Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision-making and problem solving
General mental ability Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
For covering these topics, first you must go through the previous year question papers. (since 2011 as it was introduced in this year). For practice Quantitative Aptitude By RS Aggarwal and Verbal and Non-verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal are Good Books.